3.15.2013

New years resolution cover #2

Just to get everything cleared, this is the Real Ryan Froyd posting this.  Not my wife, trying to piggyback on this awesome blog.

This one was a bit of a battle(still is). My plan was to learn one song a month this year. Well, no matter how badly you want to learn a song in one month, sometimes you just can't. I recorded a video at the end of February for this song. Listened to it a few times, and took it right off youtube. Wasn't good enough for me. So now we are halfway through March and it was time. Not because it was perfect, but because it was good enough for me. Don't let perfection be the enemy of good, right?

I missed notes here and there and I know it. If you can listen to it far enough to get to the solo, it is the part that I worked the hardest on, and I am happiest with. A good portion of my bends are not in tune, but it took a lot of work to get my fingers to move that fast towards the end.

I recorded it using my boss eband, and then synced the audio to the video in Pinnacle 15. I used my G&L s500 tribute, slinky 10's light top/heavy bottom string, jazz III pick, and I think I was wearing fruit of the looms.

Yes, I am also wearing what appears to be a beaded necklace and bracelet. Miller made them for me today. Erin  is out of town this week, and I have been telling him all week that I planned to record this song on Thursday night,  he can't bother me after bedtime.  Well since he knew I wanted to record this song tonight, he told me I should wear them. He said they would make me play guitar better. Well, not sure they helped make me better, but they sure as hell didn't hurt.

I am also playing sitting down, the video's I have posted previously I have been standing up. In my mind I always picture Guitar Hero's standing up, rocking sold out stadiums, with plenty of pyro going off around them. I can play this song standing up, but it sounds like ripe shit smells when I do. So I figured screw it, I will do it sitting down. Well, I was far more relaxed sitting down, and I played far better. Since my garage isn't a sold out stadium, and there hopefully won't be any pyro in it, I think I might just get over myself and record all my covers sitting down.

Everytime I do this, I learn something new.

3 comments:

Froyd said...

Finally, some geetar. The beads were totally rockstar. They're the new big hair.

Erin said...

I like the beads. I remember when you used to wear a necklace, 15 years ago. Good playing too.

Jess said...

I think you need some pyrotechnics in these videos.