7.31.2007

New Music Tuesday/Month in Review

Take a crap and grab your coffee, or vice versa, this ones going to be a long one. First off is the weekly reviews.

Smashing Pumpkins-Zeitgeist. So this is their first album in 7 years, and maybe they should have waited another 7. I used to be a casual fan of the pumpkins, owning Mellon Collie..., and Siamese Dream. Maybe since I was such a casual fan that is why I can't get into this album. The CD starts great, the first 5-6 songs are excellent, then everything goes to shit. There is nothing memorable on the last half of the album, and it is borderline annoying. I will have to listen to my older pumpkins cds again, because I never remember Billy Corgan sounding like such a whiny pussy. His voice was always a little different, but now it sounds like he just watched someone put his Golden Retriever in a microwave.(Gordan Ramsey, Hells Kitchen, Used without Permission.) This CD won't be lasting much longer I am afraid.

AudioSlave-Out of Exile. Read above, but without puss-voice, and you get the general idea. The CD starts out great, the first half is some of audioslaves best songs. If they had of sprinkled the first 5 songs throughout the CD,instead of all at once, I might even like this CD even better. When something starts out so good, you expect it to keep going, but this CD turn into unmemorable drivel at about song 8. Not annoying like the pumpkins, but just boring. It would be a good one to have playing in the background at a party, but I wouldn't utilize any of the later songs on a mix tape for a new girlfriend, that's for sure.

3 Inches of Blood-Fire up the Blades. Well this sounds delightful, doesn't it? I downloaded this because they are playing Ozzfest, and I figured I would get a taste of what to expect during the concert. The music is excellent, but the voice? eh. Think early Tourniquet(Stop the Bleeding), or Judas Priest after Rob Halford gargles razorblades and washes them down with bleach. If they ever do decide to shit-can the vocalist, they could just record a group of chickens being mauled by a group of rabid coyotes, and put it on constant loop.

Monthly reviews
My fingers and brain are getting tired so this will be short

CD of the Month
White Stripes-Icky Thump. I just played this the other day and probably could have listened to it 3 times in a row before I would even start to get sick of it. Brilliant album.

A Close Second
Queens of the Stone Age-Era Vulgaris. Not quite on the same level as the White Stripes, but damn fine nonetheless.

Biggest Disappointment
Tie between Smashing Pumpkins and Velvet Underground. I guess these are why people use Cd's as coasters.

2 comments:

Jess said...

What's exciting about today's releases isn't the music; it's the DVDs: 300 and Hot Fuzz!

Erin said...

Oh boy...maybe Ryan should make you a mixed tape :)