4.15.2012

It is what it is......

I don't even know where to start.  Last month was screwed.  I knew I was on a short schedule, but whatever time I had in the schedule went all to hell.  Vegas was fun but I came back with the sickness, and was out for about a week.  Felt better for a few days, then got sick again over Easter.  These children of mine are magnets for sickness and disease.  This house was like a leper colony for the last half of March.  My goal was to tape this song halfway through April, and then record another by the end of the month to keep with my resolution.  Well I taped the song today and here are my thoughts...

If you have ever watched a live performance(on TV or in person) you may have noticed the performers always fiddling with their ears.  You may have wondered what the hell they are doing.  Well I am here to tell you.   When you are busy rocking peoples socks off, the volume of the amps/PA system/16 year old hussies tend to drown out everything else.  This makes a brother lose track of where he is in the mix. Those things that Miley Cyrus, Melissa Eltheridge, and whatever the hell alternative band that Jess is listening to at this moment are screwing with are in-ear monitors.  They might be just click tracks, or they might be a full mix, but whatever they consist of their purpose is to keep whoever is listening to them in time.  I failed this this month.

I decided to do something different this month.  Every recording up to this point has been recorded with both the video and audio from our Flip video camera.  While the video is good, I figured the audio could be improved.  So I bought a separate Mic, and put it up to the speaker of my guitar amp.   While this worked well, I did not isolate or use enough volume on my source audio.  So while I was playing I completely lost track of the source audio.  That is why you can hear that at multiple points in the song I am nowhere near being on the beat.

I thought about re-recording, but decided not to.  It wasn't worth it for me.  I hope to have a new song for ya in about 15 days, so buckle your seat belts.

2 comments:

Erin said...

So you have a new respect for Rock Gods and their "ears"? You knew that one would be rough due to the lack of consistent playing. Maybe the next one will be better as we get back into a routine. You know your favorite wife will be working a lot of nights which means unlimited playing time. I still love you. BTW, who got you that white hot guitar? Looks good on you.

Agate Lake Girl said...

Love the new mic for sound. Rylee was singing/screaming through most of it so I think she liked it. She also liked the guitar riff part at the end - she commented about that.

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr