1.17.2012

Garage Band

Practicing guitar is a tricky thing in a house that contains a wife, a 3.5 year old, and a 4 month old. Practicing during the waking hours is difficult because actually sitting down for longer than 10 minutes without diapers to change, babies to coddle, bad guys to shoot, and garbages to empty is nearly impossible. So that leaves the non-waking hours. I can't crank up the amp too loud because it will more than likely wake Mason, who goes to bed at 7. Miller has decided to not go to bed until 8, so by the time we are done eradicating bad guys from the house and watching Dukes of Hazzard, we are looking at about 8:15 to 8:30. That leaves me and the wife. For some strange reason, after 10 years of marriage, my wife still insists on spending time with me. If I am lucky I can squeeze in a half-hour practice, if I am really lucky she has her own crap tv shows to watch so I have free reign to do what I want. Usually we are looking at 9 oclock before I am ready to rock. Plugging in the amp at this point isn't going to happen, because now it will wake Miller up, since his room is right next to the guitar room. I have a device that I can plug both my guitar and a pair of headphones into so that I can rock in silence. Well near silence....According to Erin, my unamplified rockishness still reverberated throughout the house last night and Miller said that the slabs of rock I was dishing out also kept him awake. ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

That leaves the garage. I obviously won't be able turn the amp on at 9 oclock in the garage, not because it is too loud, but because I don't want any neighborhood hotties breaking down the garage door trying to get to me. So I guess that just means me, sitting on a chair, playing guitar, with my headphones on. Lame. Maybe I should just get an acoustic and light a f^&king campfire while I am at it.....

Actually it won't be too bad. The temp in the garage won't be that bad for a couple months, I can practice my headbanging without having to worry about my wife critiqueing me, and I can finally buy a fog machine and disco lights.

2 comments:

Jess said...

You need a soundproof basement. Too bad you live in FL where basements don't exist.

Erin said...

I don't think you give me enough credit for how much I let you practice. You can also thank my job for the extra hours of practice you have been receiving. Neither one of us is getting paid, at least you are enjoying your time.