3.14.2010

Progress

Well, had a good week and got quite a bit done on project PW. I will give you before and after pics and tell you what all I did.





Brake lights. Stock ones were lame. Painted the purply parts silver. Took the old solid red lenses, looked at them, and then threw them in the garbage as fast as I could. Took dimensions and machined new lenses out of Red acrylic. Created the pattern in Mastercam using a .125 ball end mill and machined the pattern on the inside surface. After it was machined, I put some reflective tape on the inside surface to make it reflectivy. After the body is painted I can screw it together and put the lenses on. I thought briefly about making these light up like brake pedals, but the only person that would benefit is the person riding behind Miller...and Miller doesn't care about 2nd place.






Front Grill. Where to begin....
1. Stupid Blue Headlights. Lame. Made a mold out of the originals and cast clear lenses. Much more realistic. This isn't a toy, people.
2. Brush guard for headlights. Lame. Painted over the purply with Silver to match the rims.
3. Front Grill. This is where I ran into a slight hiccup. My original plan was to paint the jeep either the color of my truck or the color of Erin's pretend truck. After I found out that a quart of paint for my truck color was $290, I quickly changed my tune. I looked through our paint at work and found the most of what we used the least. It happens to be Ferrari Red. Not sure how many jeeps have been painted Ferrari red, but I think that Miller's might be unique.
4. Grill inserts. Painted .125 abs Dark silver first, then made a pattern and machined holes in it. This allowed me to not have to paint little black dots after it was machined. Much like Bacon on a sandwich, I believe it is a nice touch.

I also finished the steering wheel(which I forgot at work) and the KC lights but I don't have pictures, so you will have to stay tuned for the next 3 weeks until I decide to post next.

3 comments:

Jess said...

Lookin' pretty kickass!

Froyd said...

"You know what, that bacon was a nice touch"

Erin and I looked at each other and busted out laughing.

Hi.lari.ous.

James said...

That looks awesome. I have an old kids playhhouse that I've been considering repainting because it's so old and faded. Your experience motivates me to start.