9.26.2007

Patellar tendonitis-Jumpers Knee

Yep, I have it in my right leg. Don't worry it's not contagious, so no-one will catch it. Patellar tendonitis is the condition that arises when the tendon and the tissues that surround it, become inflamed and irritated. This is usually due to overuse, especially from jumping activities. This is the reason patellar tendonitis is often called "jumper's knee." It basically means I am getting older. My sedentary lifestyle(in high-impact exercise) combined with 3 weeks of X-TREME BASKETBALL!!!!! have attributed to this. I also started doing some exercises a few weeks ago to improve my vertical, and I think this was the main cause. My vertical will just have to naturally improve, so more vertical specific exercises. It should start to heal up by this weekend, but it will be a pain in the ass...wait, knee until then. We have our 'explain why you should keep your job for another year' presentations today, and I was so hoping to jump for joy when I was done, but I don't think that will happen. Now I will just have to be on the lookout for 2 other afflictions that I am worried about: Drinkers elbow, and beer wrist.

3 comments:

Jess said...

So, did you see the doctor for this diagnosis or did you use Dr. Google?

And, what are you doing for management of the issue? Rest. I hope. And ibuprofren or Aleve. 3 times a day (every 6 hours, approx) for 10-14 days. These anti-inflammatories will help with the problem. But you will have to cancel your b-ball play.

That is curtesy of Dr. Higgins. $200, please.

Erin said...

I would like to have said I told you so but I figured your shoulder would go first. Although, Mama Sladky said I told you so. She called a knee injury when you first mentioned you were going to play bball. Us women, so smart! :)

Agate Lake Girl said...

Everyone is falling apart. Between your patellar tendonitis and Jess's "Ikea bed" troubles...
Watch out Erin, you and I are next!