9.15.2007

Holy Die-vah!!!

AFW went right down the shitter yesterday at about 3:00. Someone came down to the lab and need 275 pieces laser cut asap to go out on a flight last night. So I didn't get home until 7 o'clock. By then I was crabby and needed carbonated alcohol. But onto the good news. I got an email yesterday from the arena that is a mile from our house. Since I am a 'Valued' customer(I think I have been there once all year) they had up to 8 'complimentary'($1.20 apiece) for me for the Heaven and Hell concert tonight. I called the wife, she gave me the go ahead, so a I purchased 8 tickets for the grand total of $9.60. I called all my friends and everyone can go, so tonight we will be drinking, eating brats and rocking out with our respective cocks out.(women will have to figure something else out since they don't have the necessary equipment...I hope). Here is who is playing, Queensryche, Alice Cooper, and Black Sabbath with Ronnie James Dio. Under normal circumstance I wouldn't pay 20 dollars a ticket to see these guys(actual ticket prices started at $50). But hell, they were free, Alice Cooper has some great songs, and Ronnie James Dio and Black Sabbath are metal legends. Most importantly, the concert is only a mile from the house. Sweet. I have a feeling the strong Spanish influence doesn't get into old men playing heavy metal so the arena probably didn't sell anywhere near enough tickets, so that's why they were practically free. Not only that but they are awesome tickets. Here is a little history of each act:



Ronnie James Dio
Considered by many one of the best Heavy Metal vocalists of all time. He is credited with creating the "Devil Horns" salute that is often thrust into the air and rock shows. It is also how I display the number 2. Lead singer for Rainbow(1974-1979) replaced Ozzy Osbourne in Black Sabbath(1979-1983) Fronted his own band Dio(1982-1991). Never claimed to be a prince of darkness, never sold out to MTV by making a stupid reality show, and can still function in normal society even at the age of 65, 6 years older than Ozzy. Most importantly he could be considered a role model for little people. At a confirmed height of 5-3 he shows that you don't have to be tall to be a rockstar.



Alice Cooper
Another elderly statesman of rock(59), Alice Cooper is the grandfather of Shock Rock. "Even though the band incorporated theatrics into their stage act from the outset, a chance case of the press misreporting an unrehearsed stage routine involving Cooper and a live chicken led to the band changing tack — capitalizing on tabloid sensationalism, and creating a new sub genre, shock rock. Cooper claims that the "Chicken Incident", which took place at the Toronto Rock 'n Roll Revival concert in September 1969, was an accident. A chicken somehow made its way on stage during Alice Cooper's performance, and not having any experience around livestock, Cooper thought, "Chickens have wings, so they must be able to fly," so he picked it up and threw it out over the crowd, with the intention of having the chicken fly away. But, chickens cannot fly particularly well, and the bird plummeted into the crowd and was reportedly ripped to shreds by the rowdy audience." (used without permission) There is alot more info about him but I am tired of writing now so if there is anything else you want to know about Alice cooper look it up.

Black Sabbath
If you don't know anything about black sabbath, you suck.

Queensryche
I always thought these guys were pussies, and that's all I have to say about that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Englebert Humperdinck is the only musician worth paying over $20.00 to see.

Jess said...

Well, this will be interesting...You know, I'm mostly in for the brats and beer, right?

Erin said...

This can go one of two ways, a totally kick butt awesome show or we will be bored out of our minds. Either way, I am sure beers still cost $9 a piece at the arena.